Thursday, July 11, 2013

What have I learned?


ALA JobLIST posted this link on their Facebook page today.

This part:

My favorite, “What I’ve Learned,” detailed her year-long experience as an intern at an accelerator: ‘I learned: It’s better to ask a question, no matter how dumb you think you sound, than to pretend you know what you’re talking about’ and ‘I’ve come to appreciate networking and learned that being friendly, making connections, and maintaining solid relationships is a top priority.’

and this part:

She sent over what I call the “self-aware cover letter.” The content acknowledges how mundane most application materials are, but understands their necessity. I recall a virtual handshake, a hat-tip to all the cover letters before hers, a quirky summary of her talents, and absolutely impeccable grammar. If I’m remembering correctly, there were allusions to a horrible food sickness in a foreign country peppered in as well. I might’ve even LOL’d.

really got me thinking about what I've learned in the 7 years since I became a librarian. 

Here's a brief list I've started:

- That I love teaching/ training because it is empowering the student to help themselves. Give a student an article, and they won’t learn critical thinking skills. Teach a student to search, and you’ve given them a skill they can use the rest of their life.

- That I don’t always react appropriately when around upset/ irrational users, but have developed the ability to reflect on such interactions and determine what I did wrong, and how I can improve. I've learned that sometimes people just want to vent and aren't looking for a solution/ explanation. I have learned that I’m able to work with the "crazy" patrons. I’ll take crazy over irrational anyday!


- That I should never be a children’s librarian. I enjoyed craft time and getting to be silly during story time. However, it became clear that I can't work in an office that is constantly noisy, nor do I possess the energy required to put on an awesome storytime multiple times a week. I have now directed these interests and talents into roller derby and teaching.


- I’m OK asking obvious/ dumb questions in meetings, because people almost always come up to me afterwards and thank me for asking them and/ or they often lead to a discussion.


- That sharing a perceived weakness can turn it into a strength. Being a librarian, I felt I should hide that I was dyslexic. I mentioned it in passing to a Developmental Studies instructor, and they pointed out that it could be inspiring for their students to see that it is possible to overcome such challenges.


- That to be a great teacher means never sitting back and saying, “Yes, that lesson plan is done, and I will never have to change it.” Being a great teacher means constantly assessing what you’re doing and incorporating new ideas and technology. This not only keeps things interesting for students, it keeps it interesting for me too!


- That I enjoy marketing/ outreach more than I ever thought I would. My first roommate in college, upon meeting me for the first time, thought I was a cheerleader because I was so excited. At the time, I thought this was a preposterous idea, as I had always thought myself quite the polar opposite of a cheerleader. Little did I know I'd become a cheerleader for libraries, learning, and roller derby!

These sections also got me thinking about completely revamping my cover letter and resume to make them more personable (maybe get a LOL) and specifically address what I can bring to each position, rather than listing what I've already done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment